I’ve always been a little leery of proclaiming anything "the best." I never declared anyone my best friend as a kid because I was afraid my other friends might assume I thought less of them.
So it was a little difficult for me to come up with just one "best" advertisement of all time - which is why there are 17 in this post instead.
Why are these campaigns some of the best ads of all time?
Because of the impact they had on the growth of the brand, and because they manage to hit on some universal truth that allows us to remember these campaigns years after they first began. In fact, some of us might not have even been alive when these campaigns first aired.
1. Nike: Just Do It.
2. Coke: Share a Coke
3. Absolut Vodka: The Absolut Bottle
4. Anheuser-Busch: Whassup
5. Miller Lite: Great Taste, Less Filling
6. Always: #LikeaGirl
7. Volkswagen: Think Small
8. Google: Year in Search
9. Dos Equis: The Most Interesting Man in the World
10. California Milk Processor Board: Got Milk?
11. Metro Trains: Dumb Ways to Die
12. Apple: Get a Mac
13. Clairol: Does She or Doesn’t She?
14. De Beers: A Diamond is Forever
15. Old Spice: The Man Your Man Could Smell Like
16. Wendy’s: Where’s the Beef?
17. Procter & Gamble: Thank You, Mom
Emotional and nostalgia marketing are powerful tactics to get people to make buying choices, so if there's a bigger, more universal story behind your product or story, tap into it -- and showcase it front-and-center.